where the world is perfect but i am not

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The cow and i

When you pray for a better life, what do you actually pray for?

You ask me, what satisfaction I get out of studying, and why do I go on working at the same time. I suppose I go on doing the things I do for the same reason that the cow goes on giving milk. Although at some point i think she prefers giving cocktail.

My dream, is to be a well known writer, whose writings seize to have a certain effect on people. But then if you ask me if it matters, I suppose it won’t. I write not to please others, I write to satisfy myself. Just as when a cow gives milk, she is not trying to satisfy the milkman, but to satisfy herself.

Next to that, is I am quite devoid of religion. All of my life, I have never done anything out of religious impulse. I don’t steal, don’t smoke, and don’t drink because I doubt I would find any satisfaction in such indulgence. On the contrary, I do believe god treats me with vast politeness for I have never experienced any serious disputes or poverty. However, I simply can’t imagine revering to the god of war and politics, or cancer and osteosarcoma. Just as the cow is grateful to god for grass, but never like the idea of worshipping during Hari Raya Korban.

Last but not least, I do not believe in immortality for the same reason that a cow never looks right or left when crossing the street. She never bothers to look if the little man in the traffic light has turned green because she knows if she is destined to die she will die, despite obeying the law.

If you ask me what the meaning of human life may be, I don’t know. I incline to suspect there is none.

All I know about it is that, to me at least, it is very amusing while it lasts.

Not sure about the cow though. What about you?

12 Comments:

Blogger suYin said...

Sometimes i felt as if i wasnt meant to be where i am. i dont know where this feeling creeps in from, but it just comes. yeah, neither do i know the real meaning of human life. but i guess for now, we just need to move on. -.-"

p/s: i like the hari raya korban part :)

12:14 AM  
Blogger 毓涵 said...

thanks. i think wherever we are, home is where our hearts will be. you are right, we have to move on. no matter what. we have to move on. though there are times i feel it would be nice if we could move out for awhile.

11:05 AM  
Blogger linsey said...

erm, a cow gives milk because the milk glands keep producing it and she doesn't have a choice but to pump it out?! or she's going to have big lumpy painful boobssss wei!
hahaha just kidding ;P

9:22 PM  
Blogger 毓涵 said...

thats my point which you just clarified more brutally. she has to do it, to live better, to satisfy herself :)

4:05 PM  
Blogger Alyssa Ng said...

the Cow is a religious icon for some religion. for me, the Cow is very apathetic. very ignorant but very blissful. that explains why the Cow is an animal and not a human.

on the contrary, we are who we are. we do what we like and not what others like. the person whom we are suppose to please is ourselves and not others. originality is preferred.

nice post! esp. *the cow will not look left or right or the little traffic light..* paraphrasing some bits from your post. ;-)

8:56 AM  
Blogger 毓涵 said...

are you saying humans are ignorant but not blissful?

anyway, i meant the little man in the traffic light. not the little traffic light :)

11:52 PM  
Blogger private TS said...

i pray for better life style...health and of course wealth...since u dun believe in immortality neither do i..then i think we as a human being should appreciate on what GOD had give us..and enjoy life to the fullest....-LIVE LIFE COOL- (thiensing)

1:04 AM  
Blogger Alyssa Ng said...

erm.. either way, we just want to live peacefully and harmony with everyone in this world.

8:17 AM  
Blogger shsysh said...

i'm still wondering on why you actually considered a cow as a metaphor.not that i can think of a better metaphor.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Genova said...

i may seldom pray. but when i do, i pray for a happy life. ultimately everyone is at their best when they are happy.. cow gives milk because they cant have oversized boobies. just like you piss when your tank is full.

10:01 PM  
Blogger samantha w said...

hey...been realy busy lately...but stil wil read ur blog from time to time...great entries...keep writing! ^-^

11:58 PM  
Blogger 毓涵 said...

shark: not that i deliberately chose the cow as a comparison to myself, just so sick of being compared to other human. a cow is good, isnt it.

genova: lol. what i was trying to indicate was i do what i do now just because...not sure if you understood me but nvm. i understand what you are saying at least. it is a natural thing.

samantha: thanks. you're always welcome here.

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home