where the world is perfect but i am not

Monday, March 19, 2007

What's with birthdays now?

Today I went to the nearby store to get a birthday card. I know it is not usual to be getting a birthday card at this information age, and supposedly sending an e-card would be so much less tedious, let’s just assume that I always go the extra mile to do something nice. Nicer.

When I first arrived, I wasn’t sure what I was looking for in the birthday card, though I did know that I would have preferred something humorously written; or written humorously. Anything you like.

After an hour of rummaging through the rack and of brutal venturesome (I think I read all the birthday cards available), I took a step back, lowered my head and gritted. I found nothing. There was nothing appealing on the ten feet rack! Who would have thought that looking for a birthday card would mean this much of hard work?

Happy Birthday, hope your birthday was filled with many pleasant surprise.

Happy Birthday, wishing you lots of surprises. Only the good ones!

Happy Belated Birthday, since I am late might as well just be early the next time. Happy Valentines. Merry Christmas. Happy Easter. Happy New Year.

Can’t wait to tell you, that I’m sorry I’m late. Happy Birthday.

The cliché wishes went on and on until I totally lost the meaning of birthdays. It is just unscrupulous; can’t they create something more than that? I mean at least create one which says, “I know you don’t care but I’m getting you this anyway. Happy Birthday. The bill is attached at the back of this card.” I would have bought it, you know. They could have earned some money ~

Because I was tired and wanted to leave the place as soon as possible, I quickly chose one card and fled. At one moment I thought of purchasing the “I’m sorry” card and add on to say I couldn’t find a decent birthday card. Then changed my mind considering how mature the idea was. One might not be able to take that kind of joke. So much for having to make a decision, I made mine and felt jaded about it. Sometimes there are just not many considerable options for us to choose. In this case, there were many but none worthy of. Either I chose this for that, or that for this, it won’t matter much.

Guess in the end, it is the thought that counts. Whoever said that must have experienced the same thing I did today.

6 Comments:

Blogger wonderbunny said...

it's been a while since i buy cards/gifts for a friend's birthday. usually i just sms to wish. or just send a 2-word testimonial to their friendster account. like you said, it is the thought that counts.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Alyssa Ng said...

sometimes a plain card is nice.

you just have to choose the cover. =)

2:48 AM  
Blogger nuclear said...

yeah, as long as you have da thought to wish him/her, its good enough d. we dont have to spend alot on bday cards or gifts just to show that you remember. right? hehe!

10:34 PM  
Blogger 毓涵 said...

I don't usually get a card for birthdays. But i did that day for some reasons that i feel its better to give something tangible. A card is always better than a message on friendster i feel. Just a thought.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi...my birthday was on 21st...yesterday...so a counterreject ...had a bday ..:) Cheers!

1:47 PM  
Blogger linsey said...

HARLOS I WAS HERE TOO
AND AND
BUY ME A BIRTHDAY CARD WHEN THE TIME COMES OKAY! =DDDDDDD
*turns caps lock off*

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home