where the world is perfect but i am not

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Back to abnormal

As of midnight yesterday, I have decided that celebrating Chinese New Year is no longer to my liking.

For one, the television programs are all rescheduled for its sake. I couldn’t watch NCIS at 8tv because they canceled it for the celebration week. Usually it doesn’t get so dramatic when I miss an episode, but because I huddled with the four cuddly pillows on the comfortable golden couch in my luxurious living room (we glued money on the wall for CNY), I was heated when they aired some other programs instead. I am astounded by how brash and hasty the channel has become. This totally changed my good thoughts on them in more than one significant way.

I mean, after three years of portraying my love and loyalty to 8tv, it seemed to me they should have sent me a letter of acknowledgement at least, in advance. Just to inform me about the rescheduling so I won’t have to huddle eagerly in front of that non-enthusiastic black box and wait for days. Of course, 8tv and I were never married. We committed a dalliance for three years, but not anything more serious. No vows exchanged, no affection expressed. However, now that it has shown its true colors by treating me with indifference, I guess that is a problem. Perhaps I should only give indifference in return.

Secondly, prices hike unnecessarily during CNY. I can offer no ready acceptance to the staggering prices of raw materials in the market. The butcher sliced through our throats for five or six days before CNY, and it stirs them with pleasure. The fish monger has no change for a dollar hence charge you the extras and this seems to please him more than any other money he had earned all day. The cabby conveniently neglects to stop the meter after you have reached your destination, and made you pay him additional twenty cents. Almost everybody cheats a little during CNY.

I do not intend to dwell excessively in the domestic crimes during CNY, nor am I vastly concerned with the politics behind it. I just do not want to see children playing fire crackers without adult supervision because their favorite cartoons are rescheduled, and I do not want to see tears in any fathers’ eyes because they can’t afford to buy even a chicken for morning rituals on first day of CNY. These are real indifference. For some reason, I resent the horrid smartness during CNY that sends hundreds of people to eat at expensive restaurants serving mediocre food, or drink at five star coffee bean, because it’s fashionable to be seen there.

However, Chinese New Year offers some prizes I will miss, those I don’t get to see during other seasons in the year. In no other time will I see such beautiful people and children, they stride rapidly and with purpose, all in their bright colorful dresses, their faces filled with vitality and they seem to meet life eagerly.

Guess there is always two sides to every story. The tempo of the celebration is exhilarating, yet poignant at some level. I suppose everyone will come to this point in life and can’t avoid not thinking about these things, right :)

How was your Chinese New Year?

11 Comments:

Blogger samantha w said...

thx for inviting me.seeing u is great (=

10:58 AM  
Blogger 毓涵 said...

thanks for coming. seeing you missing me is great :)

11:48 PM  
Blogger Genova said...

lol. theres no such thing as promising or not promising comments. they are just comments.
i agree that cny nvr felt the same like it used to. although i hav no problem against tv cause i dont watch them, the atmosphere is definitely different than what it used to be. firecrackers were hardly blown.

12:53 AM  
Blogger 毓涵 said...

firecrackers are banned. but like i said, everybody cheats a little during cny. come to my house, the children here are potential terrorists.

1:01 AM  
Blogger millymin said...

glued money on the wall?!?!

5:45 AM  
Blogger Alyssa Ng said...

it was an awfully quiet chinese new year. but despite the ban of fireworks, there are still some people who 'create' meteors in the sky at night.. =)

and it was good to spend the new year without watching the tv.. so, i did not felt frustrated or whatsoever..

calm down.. you have money plastered to your living room's wall. ain't that enough for entertainment? =)

10:25 AM  
Blogger nuclear said...

yeah, this year's cny is super quiet.. i cant see any fireworks. last year was like a fireworks competition around my taman. hehe!

but everyday, cny is da same. no diff. its just another normal day..

11:39 AM  
Blogger wonderbunny said...

my CNY was fun. coz my sis came home from UK. lol... she is good in hiding her whereabouts. i'm exposing it here. :P

5:47 PM  
Blogger 毓涵 said...

so arisa go is back in town!?
haha....
yea, cny is just another day. i am glad it came and went like any another day. at least nothing bad happened. just glad.
thank you for your counter rejects. all of you. it really matters to me.
thanks.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Alyssa Ng said...

i came, i conquered and i left penang..

6:50 AM  
Blogger White Pilgrim said...

What do people know about life? Life is just a journey that all living organisms have to walk through. All lives must come to an end. No living beings can run away from the fact of death. The fate of life is not for us to decide. What we have to decide is what to do with the time, which is given to us. I'd like to present a song to you, Agnes. It's called Destiny. I could be quite simple, but I hope it tells something.

People laugh, people cry,
Some say hello; some,goodbye.
Some will rise, still some die,
This is destiny of all lives.

People come, people go,
You live together with a soul.
Some will stand, some may fall,
This is truth that tells it all.

People are mortal. We come when it is time to see the world, we go when it is time to leave. You may have lost someone in sight, but you will never lose anyone inside (onesel).

This is the DESTINY of LIFE

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home