where the world is perfect but i am not

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Lost in translation

I woke up with a realization today, that people are mostly living in lies and self delusion. Of course I didn’t just go to bed last night and woke up with a sudden light in my head, but I have been thinking about this for quite some time. Just didn’t know how to put my thoughts into words.

Few years ago I studied a literature prose that mentioned about a man who found a place he loved and decided to end his life at sixty. I don’t remember if he had died exactly at sixty or not, but he died peacefully overlooking an island; the place he loved most. It was all he ever wanted. He worked and saved enough just to live until sixty, went to the only place he loved and spent the rest of his lifetime there. To him, being able to pass his time there was the only thing that mattered. I am sure many of you know about this story; remind me of the title though.

I never understood entirely the idea of this literature. Is it about a man who had decided to avoid all clamors in life? And figured it would be best to lead a simple life thus tried to end his own life at sixty when he was fated to be alive? Sometimes I wonder if the author had deliberately forgotten to write down that he had also lost his mind.

I mean, would any of you, at any point in life, give up everything, to pursuit just one thing, that you have always wanted?

I just have the impression that the man in the story never grew up. Perhaps it was a clue to this marvelous prose. Most of us chase ourselves in pursuing a better life, better fortune, better cars, better husband, better career. While we race ourselves to fit in the community, in other words to be ahead, to be famous, to be known, to be somebody; the man in the story only wanted to be happy.

I have read once, that rising to fame is mostly a matter of luck; or misunderstanding; and that there is not much difference between genius and mediocrity. It is a pity that the majority cannot transcend their own self delusions and return to ordinary aspirations.

I believe sometimes god withdraws something from me, so I can remind myself that nothing is permanent. Then I try not to let too much go into my head. However, I guess I will never have the courage of the man in the story to escape to an island, just like that. Often I start to dabble in minor issues, and then I make noises and fury so I can be heard at home, in school, abroad. And I delude myself into thinking that I am actually somebody.

Truth is, without ordinary aspirations, I am nobody.

Nobody at all.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe the title you are looking for is The Lotus Eater, by Somerset Maugham. It's the short story we did in school about Thomas Wilson (your adult child) who fled to the island of Capri to live his life.

Somerset Maugham, towards the later part of his life, also visited a place dear to both you and I. Yes, you guessed it. Penang. He stayed at the Eastern and Oriental Hotel and absolutely loved it.

On a related but wholly irrelevant note, the island of Capri are great producers of a liquor called Limoncello. I had the opportunity to try it once. Mixed with soda, it is absolutely delicious =)

Well, that's your fact snack for the day. Ciao!

5:28 PM  
Blogger 毓涵 said...

You have replied with an entirely related but irrelevant note. Totally ignored my quest for an answer in the post. Anyway, thank you. Keep the blog alive.

10:15 AM  
Blogger shsysh said...

ordinary aspirations eh?what do you call people like me who is not just self-centred and arrogant but believes everything is within reach though in actuality,hmm..nothing is..?

3:32 PM  
Blogger 毓涵 said...

i call them aspired.

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there....nice piece ....very true ordinary aspirations makes us human and also happy....the man in the prose never grew up perhaps....i can perfectly relate with the man in prose....can take absolute solace in one thing........the folly is take solacae in a relationship or anything remotely human or material perhaps.....because of impermamence...though i may be incorrect...island seems just fine.....perhaps the truth is of not growing up..or perhaps the challenge is to retain innosense..nice piece.

8:21 PM  
Blogger 毓涵 said...

you speak like god. totally beyond me. thank you again, sir.

2:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me no sir please....just a humble idiot..:) Cheers!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Alyssa Ng said...

sophie kinsella's 'undomestic goddess' may have answered your question. well, on the part where Samantha Sweeting gave up her career over a small mistake and moving on to stay at the countryside away from the congested London city. that she said, was the best time she had ever had, away from her entire legal career.

so, in relation to the literature we studied back in uniform days, people nowadays would gave up reality in pursuit of their dreams. it's like they have had enough of their routine life, having to live up to peoples' expectations all the time and neglecting their true wants.

it would not, like you said, be a sudden decision to know what to write instantaneously. you just know when to write and what to write. same goes to what is your purpose in your life.

however, we must not be too obsessed in trying to liberate ourselves like the old man in the Lotus Eater. instead of retiring properly, he was so engrossed in his dreamland until he went berserk and lost. just be aware and alert of what you are doing.

hopefully my comment helps?

8:06 AM  
Blogger 毓涵 said...

yeah, consciousness is the only thing that keeps you on the right track. guess to deal with others we use our hearts but with ourselves we have to use our head. it will keep things tolerable. thank you.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home