where the world is perfect but i am not

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Cleaning up my latitude

I must admit, that cleaning is not one of my hobbies. Neither is cooking, sewing or anything feminine guys internationally think should be relatively done by a female. Because my room was in a mess and looking for a pen would be like experiencing a treasure hunt expedition, I decided it would be wiser of me to just clean the leftovers and dust the dust.

So I climbed up the wall to terminate the spider, went under my bed to execute the cockroach and stumbled over that pile of books I planned on recycling last semester. I straightened the geisha on the wall, walked around with entertainment magazines I thought I read before but forgotten when, realized I had almost thirty six copies of readers digest, refilled my overflowed glue (what an oxymoron), discovered my long lost nivea lip care product (Yay!) and last but not least, I found an old book in which I read my own writings in it.

In one of the pages, it wrote;

Greetings ladies and gentlemen, faithful listeners, charming judges and concerned friends over the country! Lend me your ears. Today I am going to present to you a fresh topic of general interest- tourism Malaysia, 2007.

It has been another year of great challenges for Malaysia. We have successfully faced those challenges, continue to move forward and remain stable and strong as a nation, and we are thankful for the blessings we received so far.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Next year (this year), we will celebrate the golden anniversary of our independence. This country we love so will turn fifty. It is an occasion to rejoice and to share with the world for the unique qualities and virtues. Thus, the government has announced plans for Visit Malaysia 2007 to promote Malaysia aggressively to the world market.

We have plenty to showcase. Historical sites, modern landmarks, historical sites and ….modern landmarks. What more, we have great food! A true Malaysian will never forget the many delicious food and intricacies the country offers. Rojak, nasi lemak, ais-kacang, roti canai, chapatti, fried oyster, fried oyster, fries oyster!

Besides, we have clear blue seas, white sandy beaches and lush verdant jungles offering incredible eco-experience. Oh, trust me, that is just a few of the things we offer, we also have the miracle man, drinking and driving, applause to the wonder woman, driving between two lanes, drum rolls for the talented trained monkey to pluck coconuts, abandoned babies, political critiques that never understood the real meaning of democracy, tsunami floods, money faced law enforcements, pretty immigrants from all over the world- China, Vietnam, Slovakia, Nepal, Thailand, you name it.

So, what are we promoting for real?

How do we respond?

After reading this, I couldn’t help myself from laughing out loud. I don’t even remember why the heck I ever wrote that for. It is certainly odd considering me, who had never given a decent speech before during the whole of my life. But then again now you can start doubting my chances of being the next tourism minister, I suppose.

At the end of day, I kept the old book instead of recycling it with the others. Perhaps I still feel like keeping it. Perhaps it belongs in my closet. Where it will stay until I start cleaning again next year. Laugh out loud and feel that déjà vu again.

Just before I closed the door, I gave that book an appraising stare and smiled.

Cleaning is not so bad after all.

6 Comments:

Blogger Genova said...

fried oyster!.yes more fried oyster.
it would be interesting if u become the next tourism minister.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Mushu said...

Hi there. I'm Vern and this is my first time reading your blog. That was a very good 'speech' you have there, the tourism industry sure could use that little sarcasm there. Anyways, will find time to read up on the previous posts soon. Keep it up!

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice one:)

6:09 PM  
Blogger 毓涵 said...

Thanks folks. Will write when the time allows. Thats when i know what to write.

Pax!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Genova said...

its time to clean up the cobweb in this blog as well.

7:56 PM  
Blogger 毓涵 said...

no duster....

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home