where the world is perfect but i am not

Sunday, June 22, 2008

The meeting

I had been sitting on the chair for ten minutes, I guess. The corner place that I had chosen was rather secluded, although not explicitly welcoming, the transparent floor to ceiling wall somehow led me to regard this resting place with subdued contempt. I resolve not to check my watch just yet, and returned to reading the novel. I was at page fifty one of three hundred forty, and decided to read the page again, since I had read it without absorbing a single word.

She had arrived just when I was about to take a second look at the time. I had reached early, simply because I did not want her to wait. Guess once in awhile, I like doing a little good by reaching early and have the luxury of appearing like I had waited in frustration for quite awhile. Sometimes I get a free drink, but in this case, I had a whole free meal.

She looked different since the last I had seen her. More arresting perhaps, older but still young and easy on the eyes. I had no time to think about or define the differences of the image I captured in my head about her but as she sat in front of me, the whole picture contained an attitude and atmosphere that would make anyone stop and look, if they could.

We had a long conversation. Occasionally I was partly embarrassed that she was interested enough to analyse my existence in many ways when she fired gentle questions about my past, many of which I felt no immediate obligations to provide answers to, although I was partly pleased.

I remember getting home pretty refreshed after the meeting. Walked through the living room, stopped with an abrupt turn and moved to the piano instead. Sat down on the leather stool and let my hands moved over the keys with a delicate touch to coax the full tone and nuance of each note. I played perhaps twenty minutes, a series of melancholy pieces that left me somehow indulged and depressed.

After that I sat back and recalled images of the meeting earlier. I gave my thoughts a close, detailed stare that now contains no emotion. I evaluated and remained absorbed for several minutes, until at last I stepped back with a small sigh, a sound that encompassed both satisfaction and contentment.

8 Comments:

Blogger ReadMeReadYou said...

u wrote this story before, i distinctly remember it although not sure where and when.
she sounds familiar like someone from the past, yours not mine and yet i wished i knew her.takes a lot for someone to affect you like that.
meeting her would be a real winner

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ever thought of writing a book? it's cool to read the materials u write in a blog but it'll be even cooler to read it in a complete book. i think it would be really good. i think people would buy it and would enjoy reading it.

12:08 PM  
Blogger 毓涵 said...

readmereadyou: i distinctly remember i've never written anything about this before. haha. perhaps similar vocabs, which makes it sound the same. She is not somebody from the past. She is the present, but yea i guess, once in awhile somebody comes by that affects us in their own way ;-)

felicita: writing a book, takes alot of skill and courage. which i lack. furthermore, im sure there are many who dislike what i write. anyway, what makes u think its not taken from a book ;-)

4:59 PM  
Blogger [ - eVe - ] said...

yah yah, i agreee wth feli. i will be one of the first few customers to buy ur book ! hehe. by the way, when ru leaving ? an exact date ?

3:40 PM  
Blogger 毓涵 said...

25/7, leaving at night. u can prepare gift and long letter, still can make it ;-)

4:11 PM  
Blogger [ - eVe - ] said...

ahaha...long letter? hmm, ill put it in a bottle n throw it into the sea. it will find u in aus. so, be sure to take a stroll at the beach when ur there. =)

hey, mind listen to my guitar video? hehe. thx...

6:11 PM  
Blogger samantha w said...

hey meet again before i leave and b4 u leave also k? i'll be leaving on 6/7. call me.PLEASE!

12:03 PM  
Blogger 毓涵 said...

eve: will do. will take a stroll by the beach and frantically search for ur bottle of letter. haha :-) cheers.

samantha: won't be around 4/7 until 7/7. guess will have to make it to meet soon. will call when its convenient to meet. perhaps next week.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home