where the world is perfect but i am not

Friday, March 21, 2008

Life is a piece of cake


When I first saw the cake, it had icing all over. The colors were not too bright or too fancy - just nice, in my opinion. It looked smooth and attractive compared to the others. Muffins always appear too stiff and donuts too empty. So I bought it without further thought and kept it no longer than 5 seconds; then I ate.

Upon consumption, I find the icing a little rough in texture. It was sweeter than I had imagined. The middle layer of the cake was rock solid, unlike the first impression I had about it being soft and spongy. Sometimes I tried to liquefy it with orange juice but that was no tolerance, because while I managed to swallow it, the mixture almost spoilt the original taste, and I ended up disappointing myself.

Hence I abandoned the piece of cake and began looking for another one.

Looking for a suitable cake is not always easy. Along the way, you will get distracted by the people around you. They will most probably tell you sweet sounding lies with irresponsible exaggeration and for a long time you would be delusional in what you are really looking for. Was it a banana cream cheese or just a plain cheese?

Only after purchasing and tasting will you feel the pang of disappointment. Either or, the banana cream cheese was an obvious wrong choice. Such betrayals; often make me realize that it is undoubtedly safer to go on my quest alone because nobody will be allowed to promise anything with fleeting hopes. Nobody will tell me otherwise when I am aware that the cake I want most is the cake I can’t find. Simply because it’s not there.

Then I will stop searching. For a moment I will stare at the ceiling but after that I will move on. I will go somewhere else. But as tough as looking for a cake can be, usually the person who suffer most are those who don’t know which cake they really want.

The journey in search for a piece of cake is quite similar to the game of life. You get distracted along the way by the people around. You get fooled and you get beaten. They make you sadder, but in a way make you wiser and any cake that does not kill you only makes you stronger (They have calories).

Many people say in times of turbulence, hardship builds character. But the way I see it, it reveals character more than it builds. Hence if life is a game, then I will be a better player tomorrow than I was today; simply because I have learned not to play the game by the rules anymore.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

follow ur heart ^^

5:42 PM  
Blogger Alyssa Ng said...

life is not just a piece of cake. there are creams, fruits, nuts and chocolate rice and a price tag! =)

basically, life is never as smooth as how we want it to be..

6:45 PM  
Blogger 毓涵 said...

jobie: thats one thing i learn not to do. i followed my heart and i died.

ally: creams fruits nuts chocolate rice price tag all is a package of cake no meh? lol. depends what cake ur looking for anyway. that is IF u know what cake u want. then only you will know what to look for.i'm repeating myself arent i. lol.

basically life is more than a piece of cake :)

7:05 PM  
Blogger shsysh said...

ikut hati mati, ikut rasa binasa.

basically, life is an adventure :)
(like the game we play,even when the game is over we press F2 for new game anyway ;p )

10:03 AM  
Blogger 毓涵 said...

i don't play games with F2 anymore. do they still have that? pacman isit? now i just don't save the games when i die so the next time i play i would be alive still ;)

3:05 PM  
Blogger shsysh said...

not pacman.pinball ;)

1:00 PM  
Blogger [ - eVe - ] said...

this is a very meaningful post. the title life is a piece of cake sounds so simple, but it isnt simple at all in reality. am really impressed with the way u write this post. haha. keep writing akyh!

1:49 PM  
Blogger 毓涵 said...

eve: flattery flattery :) more more....:) LOL. thanks a lot for the support. you are my only fan :) be proud of it, i will gv u an award. you obviously have good taste.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home