where the world is perfect but i am not

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Strings of life

Not long ago, a friend of mine had asked if he could borrow my violin. Since it is left unattended at home, I thought why not? So I passed him the violin and told him to return it when he does not need it anymore.

Upon returning home, there was a minor argument with my housemate about how I should not have lent my friend the violin. She said it is such an expensive instrument, what if he spoils it? Or what if he does not return it to you? Being a quiet person, I did not really said much for myself. But thought silently, it's strange how I never think of these things whenever somebody asks anything from me. I just give, if it's available for use. To me, it's better to be used than to be left alone. At least there is some productivity, instead of being idle (i.e. the violin).

But obviously different people have different mindsets. I do not know where or how my violin is now, but I never really thought much about it after lending it away, until this morning, my housemate asked why did my friend borrowed it for so long? Again, the matter is brought up. A matter which never bothered me the slightest.

It is just strange, sometimes, I think, for some people to hold on so much to what belongs to them and what does not. What is theirs and what is not. To draw the lines so broadly and holding themselves so tightly, when life indeed, is just a split second of having the chance to give, before it's too late.

It's true isn't it?

Life is not all about who you are.

Or who you want to be.

But who they allow you to be.

10 Comments:

Blogger shsysh said...

life, for me, is about learning - that includes being who you want to be which leads to being who you are, and most important of all, being contented.

sometimes I forget this too but once in a while, I keep myself reminded of this.

7:27 PM  
Blogger She ジョaN said...

ur sheila on7 cd is with me..

12:08 AM  
Anonymous ThienSing (malas login d) said...

because ur violin is not important to you? just imagine if that guy were to borrow your car to pick up his gf for dinner ( at that moment u are not using the car ) would u lent him the car?

It's just the matter of how much u value the stuff u have. Your roommate is kinda selfish right, more to defensive type of person but that not wrong about it.

I wanna be a billionaire, could you ask your housemate if i'm eligible for that status?

2:20 AM  
Blogger 毓涵 said...

shark: counting my blessings.

hana: its yours.

thiensing: i will. if im not using it. not that i don't value the things i have, i just value the friends i have more.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Kacey Lim said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Elise said...

you just lent ur thgs to those ppl who you believe in.

if a stranger ask for violin and you lend him/her without any questions, and if anythg happen on your violin, this is your careless:)

but nw, u knw him better than your housemate, so u lent him the violin, then it's ok.
This is why your housemate ask you these questions when in fact she doesn't knw ur friend.hehe.This is different perspective for the give one, receive one, and the listen one:)

10:01 PM  
Blogger private TS said...

Elise: Good point.

1:53 PM  
Blogger 毓涵 said...

it is my friend. she knows it is my friend. of course i wont just lend it to a stranger...i don't know what ur indicating. but yea i agree i wont lend to a stranger. if ur trying to ask me to understand my housemate, i think its even easier if i just ask for the violin back.

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Elise said...

Private TS: Thanks for ur comment:)

毓涵:I'm just want to point out that why ur housemate questioning u:)
We analysis about the reason why.ha..
She not really familiar with your friends although she knws ur friend.But i thk u understand her more than me hehe..don't vomit blood when she x understand u le.ha..:)

10:39 PM  
Blogger 毓涵 said...

It's not really a matter of knowing my friends or not but respecting the decisions of others. Then again perhaps i'm too important to her to not bother. Thats a good thing. Although I have asked for the violin back and I'm not happy with seeing it lay idle again. Yea, thanks for the analysis why...sigh. its just a violin..i should be more open about it.

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home